Thursday 31 October 2019

Kowhaiwhai Art


Rendered Image



In He Kākano this term, we have been learning about different kowhaiwhai
patterns and their meaning. First we had to do some practise patterns and
when we felt confident we started drawing some ideas. It took us a while to
figure out whatwe wanted to do but after quite a few sessions we came up
with our pattern. 


The meaning behind our pattern is that the koru symbolizes friendship this
includes the red koru heart. The white shapes symbolize abundance. The meaning
behind thissymbol in Māori means a large quantity of something. So overall our
pattern means a large quantity of friendship and love. We chose the colours red,
white, black and green because we wanted to keep the colours close to the original
colours that were mainly used in Māori art. 


By Milan & Phoebe


7 comments:

  1. Hi Phoebe
    My name is Selina and I am a year 7 in LH6 at Gisborne Intermediate.
    I like your art and the black makes the red and green and white stand out.
    I think that you could edit you posting settings so that the writing doesn't go off onto the sides. Please try to visit my blog at https://makauriselinam.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoebe,
    My name is Amelia and I am a year 7 student in Lh6 at Gisborne Intermediate. I like the artwork you have put at the bottom of the post and how you have explained what you have done in class. i think that next time you can change the color of your writing so that it is all the same color. I think that you could also improve it by making sure that the words don't go off the side of the page but overall it is a really good post. If you would like to visit my blog it is https://gisintameliag.blogspot.com/. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Phoebe,
    I am a student from LH6. I love how you chose your colours wisely, because you used colours that the Māoris used. Maybe next time you can can make sure your words don't come off your page.

    Kei te awhi,
    Jorja

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi phoebe
    My name is sam and im a year 8 student in LH6 at Gisborne intermediate.I like your artwork and the black make the green and white stand out.If you would like to see my blog it is https://gisintsamw.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Milan and Phoebe,

    My name is Mr Norris, for LH6 at Gisborne Intermediate School.

    You Kowhaiwhai art work is awesome! I love the colour choices and especially how you've both explained what each kowhaiwhai pattern symbolises and means. In class, we will be doing this soon. It's a good way for all students to tell their story through Māori art work using kowhaiwhai patterns and symbols to express it. Well done;) 😎👍🙌

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Phoebe
    this is Skye from LH6,gisborne intermediate. i really liked you artwork and the color combinations of your art. I also liked how you label the art and made your artwork meaningful. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. kia ora Milan and Phoebe.

    Your Kowhaiwhai art piece is very well done. It looks amazing!! , I admire how you chose really good colours , they go good together. awesome mahi.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.